Yelverton

Heart of the village adjoining St. Paul's Church

399,950 Freehold

HISTORY

A former school house, known as St. Cyprian's, the property stands in what was once an acre field at the top end of Meavy Lane between the Devonport and Drake's leats, adjacent to the parish church of St.Paul's.

Its land was purchased by Miss Edith Nicol in 1928, who then commissioned the building of three properties, her private home, Curlews - sited at the top left of the field next to the entrance to the church - whilst at the lower end of the field with a separate entrance off Meavy Lane the school house and the adjoining Saybrook Cottage were built.

On the 16th September 1929, the new school opened, relocating from Dousland.  The Head Mistress, Miss Pitts, opened this new preparatory school, naming it St. Cyprian's (whose feast is celebrated on that day).

The school was built as one large room with folding wooden partitions in the centre, and shutters at the windows, cloakrooms on either side of the entrance, and two rooms upstairs.

Miss Pitts retired in 1945, the school house sold in October of that year to Mrs Agnes Steven.  As it gained popularity and required larger premises the school moved in 1952 to Willowby House further down Meavy Lane.

In 1953, St. Cyprian's was sold as a private residence to a local dentist.  To fund the refurbishments he sold off part of the land (then a playing field) as two building plots.

Since then, it has remained a family home, known as the Conifers, with its third family currently residing.

DESCRIPTION

Approached via a private driveway, the property is secluded in the heart of the village, in its delightful third of an acre level garden, and includes a section of the historic Drake's Leat.  The character detached two storey dwelling is constructed of insulated cavity walls with rendered and painted elevations under a pitched slate roof, which was renewed in 1999.  The single storey section, forming the cloakroom, utility, pantry and kitchen/breakfast room, is under a single pitched roof, which was renewed in 2001.

The design characteristics of its former use are evident in the ground floor living rooms, and these have contributed, with their 11' ceiling height and large window openings, into light and airy spaces. There are extensive views out over the garden, which greatly enhances the connection of the interior space with the garden.

THE FACTS

POSTAL - Conifers, Meavy Lane, Yelverton, Devon, PL20 6AJ

SERVICES - Mains drainage, water, electricity, gas, and oil central heating

LOCAL AUTHORITY - West Devon Borough Council (01288) 813600

COUNCIL TAX - Band 'G' payable 2010/11 £2,595.67

TENURE - Freehold

PARKING - 17' garage + ample parking for cars/boats/caravans

OUTBUILDINGS - Dilapidated shed base and greenhouse

No information relating to the property, whether written or verbal, given by John Colton or his employees may be relied on as a representation of fact. No part of these particulars constitutes a contract, or part of a contract, for sellers or lessors or any other person or entity.  All photographs are recent and show only certain parts of the property.  Any areas, measurements or distances given are approximate only.