Sampford Spiney

Huckworthy Bridge

guide 475,000 Freehold

Description

A detached period cottage of traditional vernacular appearance, located in the scenically stunning hamlet of Huckworthy on the western edge of the Dartmoor National Park. Within sight and sound of the River Walkham the property has a well planted and secluded south west facing garden. The principal rooms all enjoy fine views of pastoral scenery and open moorland - the local area being a paradise for walkers and horse riders.
The garden contains an old stone ruin on its upper boundary and attached to the property is a two storey agricultural barn, also in traditional style. This offers excellent potential for extending the current living spaces, or for use as a possible holiday let, annexe, home office, studio or workshop - subject to planning consents.
As its name suggests, the cottage was formerly an inn, with records dating back to the 18th century. In the Victorian era the original cottage was extended, linking the house to the barn. The inn became a family home in the late 1930's and was extensively refurbished by the present owners in the early 1990's. Capitalising on its southerly aspect the property benefits from photovoltaic panels for electricity and solar panels for water heating.
Situation

Huckworthy is approximately ¾ of a mile from the thriving village of Walkhampton with its primary school, church, public house and village hall - centre for many activities including a lively Saturday market and coffee shop. Walkhampton is linked to surrounding villages by a hopper bus service and is only 1½ miles from the larger settlement of Yelverton, offering a range of shops, churches, pubs and restaurants, golf course, health centre, dentist and veterinary practice. The city of Plymouth is 10 miles away with road, rail, air and ferry services - this last providing a handy link to Brittany and northern Spain. Some four miles to the north of Huckworthy lies the traditional market town of Tavistock with a good selection of shops and services, art and leisure facilities, including two golf courses, a cottage hospital as well as secondary schools, both state and private.

 

The Facts
Post code: PL20 6LP
OS Map ref: SX531706
Services:  Mains water & electricity. Oil central heating. Private klargestar drainage. Photovoltaic panels for electricity. Solar panels for water heating. Full uPVC double glazed windows
Local Authority : West Devon Borough Council PL19 0BZ. Tel: 01822 813665 www.westdevon.gov.uk
Council Tax: Band ‘E’ payable until 31st March 2014 £1912.25 Tenure: Freehold.
Outside : Old stone ruin, 23’ x 17’ two storey stone Agricultural barn, 17’ x 11’4” detached garage, greenhouse & summer house. Approx. 1/3rd of an acre grounds. Two designated off road parking areas for upto 5 vehicles.

Important Notice No information relating to the property, whether written or verbal, given by John Colton or his employees may be relied on as a representation of fact. No part of these particulars constitutes a contract, or part of a contract, for sellers or lessors or any other person or entity. All photographs are recent and show only certain parts of the property. Any areas, measurements or distances given are approximate only.